The Client, a leading US-based operating company for the refining, petrochemical, terminal, and marine transportation industries has a proven plant services business in conventional fossil fuels and chemicals. Recent changes in renew able energy types, feedstocks, and processes compelled the Client management to explore and understand the changing renewables landscape. The Client was looking to identify additional services for existing customers while identifying new market opportunities and risks in support of their strategic planning process.
Taking advantage of PLG Consulting’s leading expertise in the renewables and green energy markets, the Client engaged with our team of experts to identify and understand the different renewable energy feedstocks, processes, finished products, the regulatory environment, and associated economics including incentives and potential barriers. In anticipation of the Client’s needs, PLG collaborated with the Client to determine optimal strategic directions for growth and additional customer services.
The client services included:
- A high-level overview of the renewable fuels market including existing and emerging fuels (i.e., renewable diesel, hydrogen, methanol, ammonia, dimethyl ether (DME), and RNG). The overview included key insights around each fuel type:
a) Existing production and markets
b) Growth and adoption factors
c) Legislative and subsidy overview (current & future) including federal, state, and Canadian regulations
d) Supply chain and logistics overviews and considerations
- Identification of overlap between each renewable fuel’s supply chain and the Client’s capabilities
- Assessment of opportunities related to renewable diesel feedstocks
- Summary of renewable fuels market trends, its production landscape, and recommendations for the Client’s services opportunities.
- Moderation of a strategic discussion with Client leadership on potential types of business development opportunities
Through PLG’s collaboration with the Client’s team, we were able to: