Today’s podcast features our host, Chris Bonura, and veteran intermodal and rail transportation expert, John Tuttle. John and Chris discuss the topic of the “Intersection of E-Commerce and Intermodal Rail”. In 2020 e-commerce sales grew by 32% and by more than 8 times the overall growth rate of personal consumption of goods in the last two decades….and it’s projected to continue upon this upward trajectory.
So what does this mean for intermodal rail and how will the Amazon effect continue to push consumers’ expectation of service levels?
In this episode, Chris and John discuss the following questions and provide insights into how service providers can respond to these economic trends:
- What is intermodal rail?
- How is e-commerce reshaping the supply chain?
- What’s most important – emphasis on speed versus cost versus reliability?
- What role do intermodal marketing companies play in making intermodal rail available to e-commerce merchants and shippers?
- What trends have you seen in e-retailer investments in intermodal rail versus investments in trucking and air freight?
- What impact has e-commerce had on intermodal rail and what are the consequences of e-commerce using intermodal rail to a greater or lesser extent than they are already?